An exciting opportunity is available for a fixed-term (1 February 2019 to 31 July 2021) Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Computer Science/Information Technology, with a PhD or equivalent in computer science, software engineering, and/or information technology combined with Industry experience, to undertake teaching duties in HEBUT University, China.
Massey University’s College of Science is research-led and advances knowledge by bringing the latest developments and technologies to our teaching. Our Institute of Fundamental Sciences study programmes cover the spectrum of computing - from hardware to software and mobile apps through to managing information technology.
We now invite applications for a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Computer Science/Information Technology to join the Institute of Fundamental Sciences in a fixed-term appointment for 2.5 years. In this role, you will be involved in teaching and research input into the computer science, software engineering, and information technology disciplines.
The role will be based at the Hebei University of Technology (HEBUT) in Tianjin, China, and will provide teaching to undergraduate students for an ongoing collaborative program between IFS, Massey and the School of International Education, HEBUT. The cohort of Massey staff based in Tianjin are expected to be present there during the teaching semesters at a minimum, but up to 4.5 months of the year may be spent at the Manawatu (Palmerston North) campus (July - August and mid-December - February.)
To be successful in appointment to this role you will have a PhD, or equivalent, in computer science, software engineering, and/or information technology, combined with teaching experience and a demonstrated affinity for the ICT industry. You will have an established research portfolio, or demonstrated research ability in the case of a junior appointment.
The fixed-term of employment is for the period: 1 February 2019 to 31 July 2021.
You will be required to enter into a supplementary contract relating to provisions made by the University for you to be able to carry out your duties in China (available on request.)
To provide teaching and research input into the computer science, software engineering, and information technology disciplines, in particular undergraduate teaching for an ongoing collaborative program between IFS, Massey and the School of International Education, HEBUT.
Head of Institute through the CSIT Group Leader
1. Undertake undergraduate teaching.
2. Develop and teach major curriculum components of courses.
3. Coordinate and administer the teaching of subjects.
4. Supervise the research activities of students and assist in the supervision of students/ research projects at a postgraduate level.
5. Undertake continuing personal professional development.
The position requires you to undertake teaching duties for an ongoing collaborative program between IFS, Massey and the School of International Education, HEBUT. The role will be based primarily at the HEBUT campus, Tianjin, China. You are expected to be present at the HEBUT campus during the teaching semesters at a minimum, but up to 4.5 months of the year may be spent at the Manawatu (Palmerston North) campus (July–August and mid-December–February.)
Note that you will be required to enter into a supplementary contract relating to provisions made by the University for you to be able to carry out your duties in China (available on request.)
1. Undertake an active, appropriate and viable personal research programme or participate in team-based research.
2. Publish papers or other scholarly works in academic journals and review papers.
3. Present research and act as a discussant at academic conferences.
4. Generate research funding.
Service to the Community
1. Participate in community service activities that further advance the profession or field and which are consistent with the University’s Charter and Strategic Plan.
2. Assist the Institute to develop an environment which gives effect to the obligations of the Treaty of Waitangi.
1. Serve on University and/or Institute committees.
2. Ensure the observance of University policy and codes of practice in all teaching, research, community service and administrative practices.
3. Ensure appropriate safety standards and compliance requirements are met through liaising with IFS’s Health, Safety and Compliance Officer.
4. Contribute to the development of an Institute working environment of teamwork and cooperation.
Any other duties as required by the Head of Institute or Group Leader.